From 1690 when the room above the Cornmarket was declared to be the Guildhall, until 1974 when the town became part of the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead, council meetings were held in Windsor Guildhall. The magistrates courts were also held in the Chamber, until a new police station was built in St. Leonard’s road and elections took place in the Cornmarket area, before the secret ballot was introduced. Many banquets and balls have been held at the Windsor Guildhall throughout the years. Events and Weddings (like the one of King Charles III and Queen Camilla in 2005) still take place there.
Written by Pamela Marson and Brigette Mitchell, Published by Friends of the Windsor & Royal Borough Museum